"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."---Mark Twain

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Downtown Fairy Ring

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

A fairy ring, also known as fairy circle, elf circle, elf ring[1] or pixie ring, is a naturally occurring ring or arc of mushrooms.    The rings may grow to over 10 metres (33 ft) in diameter, and they become stable over time as the fungus grows and seeks food underground.

They are found mainly in forested areas, but also appear in grasslands or rangelands. Fairy rings are detectable by sporocarps in rings or arcs, as well as by a necrotic zone (dead grass), or a ring of dark green grass. A fungus, mycelium, is likely to be present in the ring or arc underneath.

It's more fun to think it has something to do with fairys.    I'm pretty sure that fairies do not dance at this intersection in the middle of the night.   I actually HAVE danced in this intersection.    And I was sober.

I have tried to find a full fairy ring for the last two years and this is as close as I can get.    This one occurs in a median strip in the middle of town and I got this shot on my mail run.

2 comments:

  1. that is kewl, slick! I've never seen such a thing. I got these strange mushrooms in my yard sometimes if you step on them they emit smoke! I swear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they call them a "puff" mushroom, they don't stick up out of the ground per se, right on the ground, strange little things!

    ReplyDelete