"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."---Mark Twain

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Chicken Breath And Bream Sammiches

We are having a chuck roast for supper.     I can put a mean scald on a chuck roast, and whip up a decent gravy.

After a couple of days of fast food and hot dogs that chuck roast will be good.

Sammiches are a great idea, and Bless the first soul who had the idea.

What's Cooking America's website says:

"1st Century B.C. -The first recorded sandwich was by the famous rabbi, Hillel the Elder, who lived during the 1st century B.C. He started the Passover custom of sandwiching a mixture of chopped nuts, apples, spices, and wine between two matzohs to eat with bitter herbs. The filling between the matzohs served as a reminder of the suffering of the Jews before their deliverance from Egypt and represented the mortar used by the Jews in their forced labor of constructing Egyptian buildings. Because he was the first known person to do this, and because of his influence and stature in Palestinian Judaism, this practice was added to the Seder and the Hillel Sandwich was named after him."

Gotta love copy and paste............

Like I say about some other people, I "ain't from around here".    I wasn't born in Georgia, I was born in Florida, and there were some.....uhhh......differences that I had to get used to.

Whilst waiting in line at a local diner, I heard a customer order a "chicken breath" sandwich.

Chicken  breath.........BREATH?

How do you batter and fry chicken breath?????

How in the Hell do you grab it in the first place???

Does it come in a jar like peanut butter or Nutella???

It actually reminded me of the old "catch that and paint it purple" fart joke from years ago.

Of course, they were just mispronouncing the word "breast".

I mentioned it once and was told what a chicken breast sandwich actually is.

Take a whole fried chicken breast, BONES AND ALL, slap it between two pieces of bread (use a bun if you feel snooty) with your condiment of choice and eat it BONES AND ALL.

Did you just flash on the recent KFC commercials where folks think they ate the bones and they freak out? 

I asked what did one do with the bones?    Surely they weren't swallowing the bones?

Nope.    When you get a mouthful of bones you spit it out.

Need to throw up?   I'll wait..........

Feel better?   I can ruin that, too.

Ever have a bream sammich?     

Take a whole bream, scale it, whack off the head, gut it, batter it with cornmeal and fry it crisp.

Leave the fins on.    Fried fins stickin' out of a sandwich give the sandwich that certain something, doncha think?

Fix it up like the chicken breath sammich and you are in business!

Do I partake?    Oh heck no!   

And to tell the truth, I think I just killed my own appetite.

3 comments:

  1. what the heck is a 'bream' sammich? LOL...whatever it is with fins I aint' going for it! much less payin' for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bella, a bream---pronounced "brim"---is a small pan fish like a bluegill or perch. They remove the head, guts, and scales and fry the fish whole. With the fins. Then they put that between two slices of bread. To be clear---I simply cannot deal with fins stickin' out of my sandwich. I don't understand why anybody would, but............. I classify chicken and fish bones as garbage, and you don't put garbage on a sandwich in the first place if you just have to spit 'em out later. I stick with cheeseburgers for safety's sake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, I don't eat fins! I'm with you on the burgers...I love a good fishtail sammich minus the tail and the fins! LOL

    ReplyDelete